SMMS’s curriculum exposes students to a rigorous college curriculum in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), medicine, medical missions, and optional Vietnamese Dual Language Immersion Program.
High School Goals
Our goals are for students have the opportunity to graduate with STEM, Medicine, Biliteracy, Career- and College-Ready in pursuing: BA/MD and BS/MD programs (joint-degree) admissions; or top national universities admissions.
BA/MD and BS/MD Admissions
BA/MD and BS/MD are dual undergraduate and medical school degrees. Check individual medical school for complete requirements. General requirements are:
- GPA: 3.5-4.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- SAT: 1950-2400 (minimum of 1300 in critical reading and math)
- SAT II: 600-800 Math and Science (Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Physics), or
- ACT: 30-34 (English, Math, Reading and Science)
Leadership: Was the student an officer of the club? Did he/she manage people, lead and organize events? Was he/she elected to increasingly more prominent positions? Leadership is an important characteristic of the strongest applicants to the best universities. Commitment: Did the student demonstrate a consistent, sustained commitment to the club? Did his/her other activities show a distinct interest in that topic or subject? Did his/her high school summer activities correspond to school year club commitments? Record of Excellence: It’s important to show that not only were you president of your school’s Chess Club and captain of the Debate Team, but you managed significant accomplishments. Ways to do this include winning major regional or national contests and expanding the club’s membership. It’s not about quantity, but quality. And it’s better to have two distinct areas of interest and do really well in them, than 5 different areas of interest where your performance is solid but not distinctive. Sample ECs • Volunteer at 3 hospitals: plan to reach 900 hours by the end of senior year (activities included general patient care: cleaning up, talking to, etc., some office work, helping nurses, working in the E.R. helping doctors out, etc.). • Volunteered about 150 hours at a village hospital in India helping out the poor. • Internship with radiologist in Chicago • Went to South Africa and spent the whole summer volunteering to help AIDS patients as well as researching with doctors stationed there, 375 hours of volunteering there. Summer Service Camp/Medical Mission Medical mission provides students with clinical experiences that instill compassion and that help students understand the true meaning of medicine and service. Medical mission helps students take their education to the next level.
SMMS admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan, athletic, or other school-administered programs.
Interested parents may make application for their child at anytime. Attendance at SMMS is a privilege and not a right. Each student should value positive attitudes toward the school. The following admission requirements:
• The parents must read, complete and sign the application form. The non-refundable registration fee must accompany the application form.
• Once the application is received, the office will call and schedule an interview with the administrator. The student must accompany the parents for the interview.
• The parents will need to bring all available student records to the interview (report cards, achievement tests, health records, and immunization records must be verified.
• The student must have a satisfactory scholastic and behavioral record from previous school.
• Prospective students may be tested to determine academic preparedness and placement.
• The maximum class size is 16 students. If a particular class is full, the student will be placed on a waiting list. The parent will be contacted as soon as there is an opening.
• Eligible students will be accepted in the following order: Staff member’s children, sibling of student’s enrolled, new students/families
• SMMS does not have the staff or facility to take students with special needs (physical handicaps, severe learning or social difficulties, emotionally disturbed, or history of disruptive behavior).
___ Non-refundable application fee (if no slot is available, application fee will be refunded).
___Signed Statement of Cooperation
___Signed Student’s Health History
___Student Records from Previous School (if applicable)
___Parent Interview with the Admissions Committee
___Pastor’s Reference Form Completed (if applicable)
___Financial Aid Packet completed (if applicable)